Friday, February 28, 2014

Some Like It Hot (and Numb and Tingly)

I went to this noodle shop on Yiu Wah Street in Causeway Bay for a delectably mouth tingling spicy experience.


My favorite.  Spicy and sour Chongqing potato noodles with peanuts, preserved vegetables and cilantro
A simple but delicious eggplant served chilled, coated with sesame oil, chili oil, fresh chopped scallions and sesame seeds
Chongqing pork dumplings with a healthy heaping of minced garlic

Dan dan noodles with minced pork and spicy sauce
This is not food for the faint of mouth!  After my spicy and sour potato noodles, my lips were tingling and my tongue felt like it had fallen asleep, with pins and needles skittering up and down.  I know a lot of people don't like the sensation but I love it.  

I didn't take a picture of it but in the first picture you can kind of see my cucumber soy milk, an interesting drink that the shop offers as an antidote to all of the spice.  It is a light green color.  Soy milk is a nice cooling agent and cucumber is extra cool and soothing, so the drink is a potent counterbalancing agent in this equation of fiery numbing spice.

To help further cool off my taste buds after, I went across the street to one of my favorite dessert shops in Hong Kong to have myself a sweet treat.
Mango pieces and sago served over mango sorbet and very tender tofu (douhua)
I will definitely be back when I want a spicy tingly fix.

Yu - Sichuan Noodle Shop
4 Yiu Wah St.
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong

CongSao Dessert
11 Yiu Wah St.
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment