Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gardening Update: Strawberry Plants, a Basil Plant and Some Flowers

I went to the Flower Market last weekend and couldn't help myself. 

Flowers! Everywhere! And beautiful plants.  And herbs.  And more flowers!  I know I don't need an aloe plant, or a cactus, or a Venus fly trap, or marigolds, or two types of mint (chocolate and lemon), or daisies for miles, but... everything I saw I wanted.

I thought I exercised remarkable constraint, but that is mostly due to the fact that I only had two hands. 

I bought two huge strawberry plants (I thought they were very reasonably priced at HK$20 a pop, or US$2.58 each). 
 
The strawberry plants have settled into their containers fabulously and are sprouting flowers and berries already. My only concern now is how to keep pesky bugs and birds away from my precious fruits....
 

I also bought these two mum varietals (I liked how the light lavender and the dark purple complemented each other) at HK$15 a pop.


and some baby basil plants (of a local Hong Kong variety) for HK$15. 
 
These basil plants were really weak when I purchased them (hence I planted the metal pole) but they have since settled in nicely.  I hope to plant tomatoes next to them as basil and tomato are the ultimate companion plants.


I also spoiled myself as I could not resist all of the fresh flowers, and mixed and matched this bouquet:

I really like this shop at the Flower Market
because they have so so many different varieties of flowers for you to individually choose from.  Each flower is clearly labeled with a price so you know exactly how much everything is and you can make your own bouquet.  For someone who once dreamt of being a florist, this is pretty much heaven.  It is really fun too because you can mix and match the flowers (all protected in plastic sleeves) to see if the color palette you envisioned in your head really works. 

Finally, an update on my other plants:
My yellow gerbera daisy is blooming again
Even better, there are lots of new buds
The garlic bulbs that I planted last week have exploded.  They are growing REALLY fast!!
I hope this is a good sign and not a bad sign
 My mint is flourishing (the plants just grow bigger and bigger the more I pluck for my tea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment