Sunday, February 23, 2014

Gardening Update: Planting and Growing Your Own Garlic!

Do you have garlic that looks like this?  Clearly I do.
I had an entire bulb of garlic that had started sprouting these little green shoots.  Rather than tossing them or trying to "make do" by cooking them, I figured, why not just plant them?

I can't believe I didn't think to try this before.  Let's see what happens!

Garlic is a fantastic companion plant because it is a natural pesticide (I guess the smell is pungent even in the ground).  Like onions or scallions, the smell from the bulbs and the shoots are very good at warding off bugs and creepy crawlies on your other more susceptible vegetables or flowers.

These are the soft neck garlic that you most typically see in supermarkets.  I have on occasion at farmer's markets in the US seen hard neck garlic, but those are not as readily available outside of the northeast US.

I think both types should be planted the same way (the pointy end up, the flat bottom end down, about one length more of the garlic bulb itself).

I planted these garlic "bulbs" next to my lone soldier green pepper plant.  I hope in a few months I have at least 9 big bulbs of fresh garlic waiting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment