Saturday, February 22, 2014

36 Hours in Cebu Part 2 (Guess We Packed in A Lot!)

I woke up on Sunday in Cebu hungry and eager for some fresh fruit and coffee at our breakfast (which was included).  Michael's surprise did not stop with the villa and the fruit; he had them bring me a chocolate cake!
I was eating a salad at the time that the wait staff came up to me.  I was so desperate for some vegetables I was eating salad at breakfast!
Just to start us off on a really pretty picture.
 Mmmmm.  Nice.  Okay, here are the random assorted pictures that I have from the trip.  A lot of these were actually taken on the first day.

Here are some of the pictures that I snapped quickly from the airport taxi on our way to the resort on the  first day in Cebu.  The ride, while only 15 minutes according to GoogleMaps, took nearly twice as long as that.  When we asked later why it took so long to get around everywhere / why we had to call our taxi to the airport so far in advance, our hotel concierge explained apologetically, "Ma'am, it's the Philippines."  

Well, that's as good of a reason as any, I guess!

The blurry reflections in the corner are my hands and my gray fleece, which I promptly chucked as soon as we landed!
I do always feel a bit ambivalent about staying in very nice, posh resorts that are cheek to cheek with local people's decidedly less posh houses, but I justify some of it by considering how much revenue tourism can bring into a country and a community.  It's not a perfect solution, I know.

I also usually try not to snap pictures of locals when I travel because it seems invasive (I always envisaged some cute little kid who believes he is cursed for life because I took a picture of him and snatched his soul) and all too similar to snapping pictures at animals in a zoo.

Having said all of this, obviously I am not all that ambivalent (or just unabashedly hypocritical), because I stayed at a lovely resort in Lapu Lapu and also snapped the following picture.  Something about the scene just really called to me.  I also really like how the taxi is reflected (in a store selling jerseys and athletic shorts).
What simple pleasures.  Cooling off on a hot day.
So what did we do with our second day at the resort?  We relaxed.  We read.  We got more massages.

We stared at the water.  
We basked in the sun.

We hung out by the pool.
We ate more pork and more items that contained pork.

We drank coconuts.
I really only had one.  I just hijacked J's coconut to make a more impressive picture.
We did water aerobics.
And...We took pictures of ourselves.

Here are the outtakes!
We love Cebu!
Wait, what's going on?
Wait, camera man, are you really still taking pictures of us?   Well, that's awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment