Monday, February 24, 2014

KiwiBerry

I have just discovered a new fruit.

Have you ever had a kiwi berry?  Oh sure, you have likely had a kiwi, also known as a kiwi fruit.

But I am talking about its miniature cousin!  What the what??  How have I never known of its miraculous existence! 

These discoveries leave me a little gobsmacked, because, well, I am a bit of a fruit addict, and so I think that I have seen a lot of fruits. But mother nature never ceases to amaze.

Whenever I make a new fruit discovery I imagine this is how the Spanish conquistadors and the English explorers felt, sampling a new spice in the exotic east or a strange vegetable in the new world for the first time.
This thing is the size of an olive (maybe a little larger) and really thin skinned.  You can eat the fruit without any peeling or fuss, which pretty much eliminates my number one criticism of kiwis.

The interior looks exactly like a regular kiwi, except everything is, well, smaller.
So adorable!
It is also sweeter (in my opinion) than its larger counterpart.  Normal kiwis can be a bit tart.  I think kiwi berries are just perfect.  I am in love.

I just watched a YouTube video on how you can germinate kiwi berry plants directly from seed.  I am honestly so enamored with this new (to me) fruit that I think I have to play botanist and try to coax my own seedlings to sprout.


No comments:

Post a Comment