Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Giselle by the La Scala Ballet

As part of the Hong Kong Arts Festival going on currently, I went with two girl friends last week to watch Giselle at the Hong Kong Cultural Center, performed by the La Scala Ballet and accompanied by the Hong Kong Sinfonietta.

I absolutely adored this production.  The choreography was simple and elegant, with clean lines, beautiful formations and breathtaking solos.  The production was straightforward and just the right length, fitting the storyline very well.  Never at any point did I feel that any of the dances dragged on for too long.

The soloists were exquisite.  Svetlana Zakharova in particular, who played Giselle, was mesmerizing with her graceful, fluid movements.  The most amazing element of her dancing was how light and carefree she was, no matter whether she was executing twenty pirhouettes in a row or pattering across the stage in pas de bourees.  Having watched her perform, I completely understand why she is hailed as one of the best ballerinas of her generation. 

I love the second act of Giselle (the graveyard scenes) because every ballerina wears the quintessential gauzy white tutu and there is something so wildly romantic and yet all at once desperate about the whole scene.  Death and undying love do make companionable bedmates, it seems. 

Every time I watch ballet, a completely impractical and wistful part of me wonders what it would be like to be a ballerina.  I immediately reject the idea once I've dwelled on it for a few seconds, because I danced ballet for quite a while previously, and so have been on pointe and have sampled a fraction of the pain, discipline and committment required to be a professional ballerina. 

But oh,  isn't it something?  Behold, the beauty of the human form!  

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so beautiful. I think part of the reason I love barre class so much is that I can pretend to be a ballerina. A too big too awkward too pigeon toed ballerina, but a ballerina nonetheless. Hope you're doing well lady, miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they had barre classes here! They sound awesome from your posts and I would totally go to them with you. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete