Monday, April 27, 2015

Jaywalking and ID Checks

As some of you may know, ever since my run in with the law last year and the aftermath, I am super paranoid when I approach this particular crosswalk in Hong Kong.  The other day, during my morning walk to work, I noticed another shakedown by the police.  They love to idle at this intersection and catch/entrap/ticket unsuspecting pedestrians.



What I didn't know previously though was that there was a horrific accident at this intersection where a person was run over by a huge double decker bus because he stepped out into the intersection at the last minute, against the light.  That's a sobering thought.


I also learned recently that everyone is supposed to carry their identification with them in Hong Kong at all times.  Police often stop "suspicious looking" people in Central and ask to see their identification.  Apparently there are also a lot of ID checks at routine traffic stops in Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay.  So I guess the excuse of not having your ID with you when you get stopped for jaywalking won't really work.

No comments:

Post a Comment