Wednesday, December 17, 2014

An Unending Procession of Food in Siem Reap (Marum and Chanrey Tree and Peace Cafe)

Put simply, we ate a lot in Siem Reap.  On the first night we ended up at the Hard Rock Hotel (sad, but true, and it was because we were desperate for food and the restaurant we first went to was so overwhelmed that they could not put any food on the table within the first hour we were sitting there).  But then on the second, third and fourth nights we did good.

First night we went to Marum, a restaurant that is a training kitchen and restaurant for underprivileged youth in Siem Reap.  The food was pretty good, though I have to admit that I liked the concept a lot better than the food itself.

The second night we went to Chanrey Tree, which was really delicious and which I wholeheartedly recommend.
 I only had the discipline to take pictures of the appetizer plantain chips and pork salad and spring rolls. Then I promptly stopped paying attention and only focused on eating.



On the last day in Siem Reap, my friend and I went to the Peace Cafe, where we easily whiled away many hours, sitting in the blissfully chill and laid back setting, sipping fresh fruit juice, eating curry, and just relaxing.  I of course had my kindle.

 The Peace Cafe served an amazing stir fried tofu with holy basil, kaffir lime leaves and mushrooms.  So yummy.
 They also served a khmer curry which I liked but thought it was a little too peanut-y for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment