Thursday, January 23, 2014

In Which I Blog Again About My (Newly Blooming) Rooftop Garden

...And I am only blogging about it now because I have been puttering around on the rooftop recently (hangs head in shame).  I have found it really therapeutic to water, trim and croon to these little plants. 

The reason I never gave any updates after the second batch of seedlings (see posts here and here) is that the Hong Kong summer was not all that nice to my vegetable plants and I was embarassed to say that everything had withered and died!

Nothing (of my eggplants, basil, pumpkins and peppers) has survived except for one lone little green pepper plant that miraculously weathered the severe heat, floods of rain and subsequent dry spells.

I planted mint and alpine strawberries this past weekend, but it will be a while before there is anything to show.  I am staying optimistic, but my previous experience has made me a bit wiser (and also a bit more cautious).  It is very likely that the seeds won't even germinate.

I also decided to infuse a bit more floral into the scene, and obtained a new magenta pink azalea bush and a light pink begonia plant.  I am quite liking the few pops of shocking pink on the rooftop!


 


I think I will try to add a few more planters of marigolds or gerbera daisies, and maybe a peach blossom tree of some sort.  I promise to provide a more timely gardening update!

No comments:

Post a Comment