Monday, January 27, 2014

A Long Overdue Haircut and Digital (Re)Perm

So, I kind of loved my digital perm.

I went back to the same salon and the same trusty hairstylist that I used last year.  I am really embarrassed to admit that it has been just over a year (by a week and a half) that I got a haircut and some hairstyling.  You do not even want to see these split ends.

As much as I love digital perms for providing me with flawless curls from a mere spritz of water and some finger combing (and sometimes not even that), I am very guilty of not taking good care of my tresses.  I bought special curling conditioner and a nice smelling cream that everyone else raved about in the beginning.  But after a month or two of good behavior, I completely and utterly stopped applying creme or mousse or oil to my hair.

Perms are supposed to dry out hair, which is why ultra rich conditioners and creams are very popular.  They help the hair maintain its curl.  I am embarrassed to admit that I have sunk to a new level of laziness, in that I can't even really be bothered to go through this ritual.

So, my hair was really dried out and thirsty by the time I finally got my butt into the salon.

I had to cut off more of my ends to pretty much ensure a fresh start.  Honestly, the ends weren't that bad, but I figured I should change it up a little anyway.  So I went quite short.

At this point of the process, I looked so horrifically unflattering that I had no choice but to take a few snaps.  Hehe, doesn't it look like aliens have invaded?  And with the bug eyes and glasses too...

I think because of how short my hair was this time, the curls had to be heated closer to my head.  so rather than the octopus machine, they hooked me up to this kind of digital rack style machine instead.

The whole process took SO long.  Nearly 5 hours from arrival, shampoo, cut, perm solution, wash, another perm solution, wash, setting the curls once, setting the curls twice, final wash, and blow dry and style.  I was bored stiff and starving.

Stepping onto the MTR immediately afterward.  Not the most flattering light but I think it shows the gist of it pretty well.
 Back at home and in my robe.  The curls are tight and are supposed to be tight right now - the idea is that they should relax over the next two days.


No comments:

Post a Comment