Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Flying: An Aerial View

The good ole' US of A.
This view, as my plane traversed this huge, beautiful, magnificent country, made me almost want to break out in song.



My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!


Apparently I was not just homesick, I was also countrysick.

Say what you will about the ills that have befallen this country (or have always been present), but living abroad has roused my gratitude and appreciation for the privileges and opportunities that this country presents and represents.  I know not all who live far away feel this way, but for me, it has been one of the most salient effects of being an expatriate.

Happy New Year, all!









No comments:

Post a Comment