Thursday, April 24, 2014

Celebrating Grease and Star Anise at Yat Lok (一樂)

I've previously posted about greasy spoon lunches at Yat Lok, but it has been a while and this time I decided to take pictures. 

I took my visiting friends there for a second breakfast (or a first brunch) this past weekend. 

The goose leg rice noodles have gone up in price by at least HK$20 since I was last there.  I could have sworn it was HK$48 (maybe HK$60) the last time I was there.  Now it is HK$80.  Likely Yat Lok's landlord got greedy again and decided to raise the rent. 

I am appalled, but sadly not shocked.  I am also appalled that I am not shocked.

But the taste of Yat Lok is so good - the goose so fatty and juicy, the broth full of depth and flavor and just the right hint of star anise... that we decided to succumb and still buy a bowl or two.  My only complaint is that it is quite greasy. 

I always inhale my meal here and then feel vaguely sick as my stomach gurgles and my lips shine unapologetically with the grease of fatty roast goose, but the flavor is so good that I do not mind. 

I make an exception for Yat Lok.

It is quite hard to find this kind of rice noodle (lai fun) outside of Hong Kong.
 
I don't even think I'd had it before coming here. 
 
A bird's eye view:
Clockwise from top left: BBQ pork and roast goose combination rice noodles in soup; hot milk tea; braised goose leg with rice noodles in soup; cold milk tea.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment