Sunday, April 6, 2014

Body Jam and Hip Hop

So, aside from going to Zumba with my mom when I am home in New York (hey, it's a good way to bond with the madre) I usually never sign up for dance classes at the gym.

But recently I have started going with a friend and I am surprised at how much I like it, even though I am pretty bad and miss about 70% of the steps (on a good run-through).  The class is a little bit crowded, but… something about dancing, even in a gym class, makes me grin non stop.

Last week it was body jam, which was enthusiastic and fun with step by step instructions.

This week it was hip hop, which was full of flair and finesse and lots of improvisation.

We had a fantastically exuberant male instructor who danced on the platform with such verve that I giggled to my friend that he HAD to be a none-too-discreet moonwalker/wailer/crooner in his bathroom/bedroom/living room/kitchen.

It's not so bad once you realize most people can't get most of the steps.  And the instructor is so into his own head-flinging hip thrusting prima donna routine that it doesn't matter if you can't get it.  Kind of awesome.

About forty minutes into the class, having pranced my way through multiple pas de bourree's and chasse's and swiveled my hips umpteen times, I could not stop grinning.

When "Happy" came on, I was practically wriggling with endorphins.

Happy….Because I'm happy!!!  Clap along if you know what happiness is to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment