Saturday, April 5, 2014

Curly Kale and Tomato Quinoa Soup… Finally

It is so hard to source kale here!  Granted, Chinese kale ("gailan") is available in great abundance, and I do love Chinese kale.  But I am talking about the elusive, nearly mythical curly kale or dinosaur kale or "western kale" as it is known here in Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, some dishes can only be made with curly kale.

Truly I have been hunting for kale for about two months now.  Sometimes I would hear rumor that it showed up at a farmer's market one weekend, or a friend would mention that she bought it at a cafe a few months ago, or another friend would exclaim that she saw a bunch at a supermarket in Sheung Wan the weekend before last.  But I was always too late or just never managed to snatch up the vegetable in time.

Last week, though, finally, finally!  The victory was mine.  I spotted, through the crammed window of the local organic foodstore, what looked like curly kale in a plastic bag in the refrigerator as I walked past in the pouring rain.  How is that for eagle eyes?   I felt like a truffle sniffing pig.  Yes!

I immediately doubled back around and went inside.  Turns out they have deliveries two or three times a week!  Sweet.


Now I can finally make the soup that I have been itching to try to make for about two months now (seriously).

Tomato Quinoa and Kale Super Soup.

Talk about a healthy addition to your diet.  Packed full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins - all the good stuff!








No comments:

Post a Comment