Sunday, June 19, 2016

Hiking the Peak

I think I may have mentioned in other posts that this is promising to be the hottest summer on record.  So of course my friends and I decided that it would be a great way to start off our weekends by going on a hike on a Saturday morning!  When I popped out of bed at 7:50 am, Michael groaned, declared me crazy, and flipped back into sound sleep.

I agreed to meet my friend on Conduit Road, which is halfway up the mountain -- but  we both forgot that the escalators go downhill in the mornings before 10 am.

When I got to the escalator in Soho and saw them going the wrong way, I couldn't help but emit a loud and long groan.  At 86 degrees at 8:15 in the morning and 90% humidity, I thought the trek was going to be pretty brutal.   I made the mistake of hoofing it up these steps - flight after interminable flight, with no stop, and sometimes taking them two steps at a time.  By the time I wheezed up the last flight of stairs on Conduit, I had finished my entire bottle of water and managed to wipe off all of my sweat (along with my tinted sunscreen) onto my white t-shirt.  Hah!

All of this is to say, by the time I got to the beginning of my hike, I was already a bit of a mess.

Rather than taking a further set of steep steps up Conduit to connect to Old Peak Road, my friend and I walked Conduit Road until we were in Mid-levels West, then headed up Kotewall Road.  About halfway into our hike, my friend and I got slammed in a rainstorm - I couldn't believe how soaked we got!  It is definitely typhoon season.  The day started out so hot, sunny and muggy, but with only a whisper of warning, we were pelted until we looked like wet t-shirt contestants.  Needless to say, between the tinted sunscreen and the rain, I was really regretting my outfit choice for the morning.

Thankfully the storm was brief, and we managed to do the rest of the hike only slight squeaky -although, is there anything worse than wet shoes and socks? Blegh!

We exited near the Peak Galleria via Harlech Road.  Once there, we met our other friend and her (adorable, very well behaved) baby and then we did a 5km hike around Lugard Road.  By the time we were on Lugard, the weather had improved considerably.

Altogether, I had walked about 16,000 steps by the time we finished, which I thought was pretty good.  We ate brunch at Tsui Wah around 11 am, and were in a taxi and headed back down the Peak before noon.  Talk about a productive morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment