Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It's Like Having a Flower on Your Finger

If you'll bear with me as I gush for one final post on the engagement (I don't want to turn into one of those girls), I thought I should post a picture of my new favorite piece of jewelry.  "It's like having a flower on your finger all the time" is what I said to Michael about engagement rings once back in the day and I think that statement really stayed with him.  At least, that's what I think prompted him to design the world's most beautiful ring (slightly subjective statement).

I love my ring and I can't get over how much time and care he took to design it.  I gave Michael some broad (and admittedly very confusing and probably quite contradictory) instructions and he went from there and created a masterpiece.  He gets major bonus points because the jeweler he worked with does not speak a lick of English(!!)

Michael carried the diamond loose from the US to Hong Kong (there is something thrillingly illicit about that to my mind) and amazingly did not lose it despite his multi-day stopover in Switzerland.  He then worked painstakingly with a jeweler here to create the delicate and incredibly detailed setting.  The center diamond is oval and set in four prongs.  The ring is set in rose gold, on a very thin band that consists of the infinity symbol (each strand goes over and then under the other).  This part of the band has milgrain edging (a detail I love love love).  Each "loop" of the infinity sign contains a trio of little diamonds nestled within, with the center diamond being slightly larger than the two flanking diamonds.  The setting has little flower petals underneath which is the crowning thoughtful touch.


I have to admit, this ring makes typing quite a bit of fun...

4 comments: