Monday, June 10, 2013

Wedding Festivities

These pictures were taken from our van on our way to a hotel in the desert in Marrakech, where the rehearsal dinner took place.  We were warned that it would get chilly at night, but we were still woefully unprepared for how cold it got!  







The van was woefully lacking in shocks.  On the long (over an hour) journey, the group kept cracking jokes about what would happen if/when the van's engine or tires blew out.  One of my coworkers was also seven months' pregnant, so when we started going over particularly bumpy, bad roads in the desert, everyone got a little more nervous!



It was a really beautiful and amazing experience.  



A spirited, traditional Moroccan band
The scrubby landscape was kind of mesmerizing
Stunning, super stark landscape.  Dry wood prepared for a late-night bonfire.
Small tent that provided some warmth for the wedding guests as dusk fell 


 It got so dark once the sun set that, without a fancier camera, it was hard for me to continue to take pictures.  The bonfires blazed and provided much needed heat and we were served gray wine (a type of white wine cultivated in Morocco), cabbage salad, couscous, roasted vegetables and chicken tagine.  I expected a star filled night, but the moon was so bright that it outshined all of the stars.

The fire throwers were extraordinary and a highlight of the night: they performed throughout dinner, making flames dance effortlessly in beautiful, breathtaking patterns.
My pathetic attempt to capture the fire throwers.  They were way cooler than my picture indicates.
I didn't take any pictures at the wedding because I was way too engrossed in chatting and eating and drinking and dancing.  But here is one picture I took before I got too caught up:  the pool and the grounds were transformed!  The pool and grass were lit by candles, and in particular the lights by the pool were magical.


Michael and I were lame and retired at 1:30 am that night.  We heard that the party went on until past 4 am!  But at 2 am, not even the booming DJ stand situated right next to our bedroom could keep me awake.

The next morning, we were served a traditional brunch on the grounds of Ksar Char Bagh.  Michael and I saw a bleating baby lamb being chased around the grounds that very morning (it sounded disconcertingly like a human baby)... let's just say we likely witnessed our meal!





Pepper tree!  Freshest peppercorns ever... 

Underground pit, to cook the lamb


My plate piled up high, muahahaha.


Farewell Marrakech, I already miss you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment