Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tuffin - Our New Foster

So… we are fostering a dog!

We travel so much that it is hard for us to really dedicate ourselves to owning a dog.  Hong Kong is not the easiest place to have a dog, either -  think cramped, hot, and demanding schedules that lead to absentee dog owners.

However, my friend gave me the idea to short-term foster a dog instead.  Still doing a good deed, still giving a dog a home, but less commitment.  It sounded like a good plan.  So, we reached out to Hong Kong Dog Rescue (HKDR) a week ago, and we got matched up with Tuffin, an eight year old mini pinscher who weighs about 6.5 kgs.  He supposedly does not shed.

On Monday, during the public holiday, I went out to Stanley to check out Tuffin, who is living there with his current foster.  It was kind of the worst day to go to Stanley, because the dragon boat races were on, so I was fighting crowds both going and coming back.

However, it was a beautiful, beautiful day, and southern Hong Kong island had never looked so sparkly, clean or pretty.

I quickly learned that Tuffin is like a cat in a dog's body.  He quite knows his own mind.  I could not even get him to really look at the camera, because he was in a bit of an inquisitive mood.  We think Stanley was perhaps too overstimulating.  He spent most of the time sniffing furiously at the wood floors, likely hoping for a spare french fry or some crumbs.
 It was as if he knew where the camera was.  Is he deliberately being coy?
 He looks overweight but I've decided he is just solid.  His shoulders are very broad and he has a husky build.  He is quite good at walking and very capable with steps (which is a very good thing in this city!)

The picture taking attempts continue:
This is the only decent picture I got of him:

 Cute, right?

His current foster sent me some more pictures, from when he was more calm and willing to pose.
I love his ears.
 We get Tuffin next week and we are super excited to welcome the little guy to our home.  We have him until the beginning of August.

1 comment:

  1. I love him! Especially the ears. And what a great idea to do a short-term foster! If you still have him in September, you can totally bring him to my house in your carry-on ;).

    ReplyDelete