Saturday, June 21, 2014

BEP: A Follow Up Review

This review follows my previous review of BEP, the Vietnamese Kitchen that opened in Soho a few weeks ago. 

I think they have improved significantly since my previous review.  The restaurant was likely working through a few kinks from their soft opening.  Now I think they have really gotten the hang of things.  The kitchen churns out the dishes quickly and consistently.

 The place is pretty consistently full all nights of the week.




Their pork bun cha was fabulous.

The banh mi was vastly improved with just a thin coating of pate.  Michael's greedy fingers got in the way, so we have this rather scary looking picture...

I quite liked their vegetarian bun cha.

The beef salad (I always thought it was rather funny to have a salad consisting of… well, beef) was perfect - very flavorful with tons of fresh herbs and chopped peanuts.

The brussels sprouts with sausage were very flavorful.  Their prices are still relatively reasonable and I love their service.  The servers are attentive, responsive, and fast, even on a very busy Saturday night.

I also love that this restaurant is steps from our door.  I hope people continue to give BEP a chance. 

The only funny thing about the restaurant is that I think it is part of the same chain or family as Nha Trang, the other Vietnamese restaurant in Central on Wellington Street.  I would not be at all surprised if this were true - after all, practically all of the bars, movie theaters, supermarkets, convenience stores and restaurants are owned by conglomerates.  Despite the new anti-trust and competition law that is coming to Hong Kong (soon), I doubt much will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment