Monday, March 31, 2014

Yunnan Rice Noodles… Again?!

Bordering on obsession… my friend N and I went back to this Yunnan noodle shop on Sunday night just to get one more hit of the numbing, tangy, sour, spicy madness.  Oh this may just be an addiction.
My friend's noodles - level 5, whoa!
The weather was terrible all weekend but that did not stop us.

I was pretty tired from reading "Orange is the New Black" all in one sitting, doing a weight lifting class, trying out a "Bodyjam" dance class (it was step by step and basic, thank goodness) and getting a decadent rose facial (it is a hard life), but that did not stop me.

We trudged through the crowds in Central, braved the rockiness of the Star Ferry, dodged crowds in TST, to arrive at this beloved bowl of bliss.

Good news: I think I have discovered my spice level.  It is very precisely and squarely a Level 4.  This time I tried 3, last time I tried 5.  The chair was too big, the chair was too small; the spice was too much; the spice was just not enough.  Four it must be!  Noted for next time (which there must be).

I love the white radish (cue Michael's groan), the extra coriander, the fact that they bring the vegetables on the side (so you can fit more in your bowl, duh) and I actually quite liked the bean curd sheets that I tried this time.

Next time I might opt for the vegetarian option (the default is with bits of pork in the broth) and skip the mushrooms.  I usually like them but they were too chewy and stubbornly clung to each other in large, nearly unbreakable clumps.
My noodles, level 3.  I'm going to step it up (just one teensy spice level up) next time.
I noticed this time that they have a membership program (as Hong Kong restaurants are keen to do).  I really need to sign up to be a member next time… something tells me (oh, gee, maybe going to the same restaurant on the other side of the harbor twice within one week) I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment