Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Rice Noodle House (星林居雲南米線餐廳) in Tsim Sha Tsui

I was very lucky to go to the Yunnan Rice Noodle House in TST over the weekend with a friend and her cousin who was visiting from New York. 
 
It won the "God of Cookery Gold Award".  I have no idea what this means, but it sounds very impressive.
Amazing. 
 I had been meaning to try this restaurant for a while now because my friend has been raving about this place. And as you guys know, I just cannot resist sour and spicy flavored things. 

It is a small space.  The wall is lined with strange pictures.  The wait staff are so surly and rude that you have to think they are spitting in everyone's soup.
The tables have paper menus where you select what you want.  There are a lot of choices.  There are nine levels of spciness!  And five levels of sourness.  And lots of choices for even the pickiest of eaters - extra coriandor, no coriandor, less noodles, more noodles, no meat, extra meat, etc.
My friend and I both commented that this menu looked like a scantron.  They even provide you with number 2 pencils.  I never thought I would say it, but I miss the days of scantrons.

 I ordered a level five ("medium spicy"), normal sour rice noodle in soup with fried tofu, white radish, green vegetables, and extra coriandor.  The vegetables came separately.


Thank goodness the vetables came separately, because my noodles were so spicy that I thought my lips would erupt into flames.  The vegetables provided a soothing, neutral sponge with which to mop up all of the fire from the soup. 

They are not playing around here, guys.  I have been duly schooled.  Next time I am ordering a level three... but it didn't matter; I loved, loved loved the tingling sour and spicy soup broth.  I am so coming back.

Shop A, G/F, No. 23 Lock Road                      

No comments:

Post a Comment