Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Shopping Spree

During the quiet afternoon this past Saturday, I moseyed over to COS in Central to check out their sale.   I had a vague notion that it would be nice to buy some work-appropriate items, as I flirt dangerously with my work's business-casual dress code (loose sleeveless dresses, jersey material, scoop neck tanks and shirts, flowery A-line skirts, flats -- always flats*).  I was starting to think that there may be something to the tailored power suit, the fitted blazer, the pencil skirt, the razor thin stiletto, the crisp white shirt, etc. after all.

Well, I didn't end up getting any of those things (except the pencil skirt) -- but I'm quite happy with my purchases.  They weren't cheap, but at 30% off and of a high quality and cut, I'm satisfied.  I don't like shopping at the little boutiques scattered throughout Hong Kong because the material is a much shoddier quality but the prices are still high enough that I don't think it's worth it.  I probably tried on twenty dresses at a boutique in Soho really wanting to buy something there, but decided, despite their cute styles (cunning copies of name brands like Prada, D&G, Givenchy, Chanel, Lanvin, Tory Burch, Kate Spade, etc.) it just isn't my thing.

I've been mixing and matching these new items into my wardrobe this week (which admittedly has made coming to work way more fun), and am wearing the striped skirt as I type.  It was the last item I picked, but may well end up being my favorite of the bunch.  It was only after the fact that I realized that all of the items I picked were so neutral and stark - black and white.  Usually I'm a huge fan of color.  But I've noticed that I'm leaning much more toward simple neutrals in my outfit, and then pops of color to accentuate elsewhere -earrings, necklaces, shoes, bags.
Yay stripes!
Love the gathered neck on this top, though it sure is hard to see white on white
Navy? Black.  Black? Think it's navy...Looks much better on than on the rack
Sheer blouse that is really widely cut but surprisingly alluring with skinny pants.  Doesn't this robot model look super scary.

Lest you think that was all that I bought, I also went to a cute lingerie store and checked out their closing sale.  The cloth bags that they wrapped the purchases in were lovely - magenta pink lace with a stretchy handle.  I will definitely be reusing the bag.

And of course I also bought some more staples at the tried and true J. Crew as they are having an additional 25% off sale items.  Like a shirt, a skirt, a sweater, a tank top...And that is it.  I swear.

*a note on the flats: I wore high heels out (like not in my office) for the first time in Hong Kong last week.  So yes, it took me nine months before I finally caved and broke them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment