Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chinatown and Curry

On Monday morning, I took the opportunity of being located so close to Chinatown (just off Yaowarat road, the main thoroughfare) to stroll the hot streets.  I shamelessly pulled out a UV umbrella (own it) and tried not to pass out under the sun.  There were so many carts of desserts, sugar cane juice, coconuts, noodles, curry and fried "stuff" that I spent much of my time trying to soak in all the sights and sounds around me.

Ethnic Chinese have been settled in Thailand for generations, and while they identify as Chinese, for the most part they don't maintain that many ties to Chinese culture.  That's why it was kind of interesting to have been there for the vegetarian festival this year - to witness the Chinese community members acknowledging and recognizing their ethnic background.

Day
Night




Squid man!
Pressed squid and spicy dipping sauce




















Tuesday, my last and final day in Bangkok, was a public holiday in Thailand as well.  My sister and I celebrated by sleeping in, watching the huge barges glide by on the river in front of us, and then going to get some lunch (curry).  We took a river taxi (fun! But kind of scary when you get on and get off - I wonder how often they have people tumble into the water) from the marine pier south to Saphan Taksin, where we went to eat at the Queen of Curry.  We got a spicy vermicelli and vegetable salad, a red duck curry, and a green chicken curry.
Until next time, Bangkok!
I then headed to the airport (and struggled with long lines and slow immigration officials), but in hindsight I'm just really glad I made my flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment