Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Farewell, September

What with five visitors flying through Hong Kong to visit (six if you count my sister coming through twice), a four day trip to Taiwan, and signing a deal (but just barely - I mean we are talking successive 4 am and 6 am nights here), September really really whirled by.  And in the midst of all the hectic craziness, something had to go.  So the blog went.

But now I'm back.  And I will be posting more pictures, as there has been a dearth of those lately.

It was lovely to have all of these visitors flying through - getting to show people around in a city is always exciting and fun, but it's a doubly lovely experience when, in the course of showing your new home to your friends and loved ones, you realize that a city once strange and new has become familiar and comfortable.  It also makes me realize I shouldn't take where I live, and my current situation in life, for granted.  I really enjoy it here.  This city is so unique, in so many ways: the remnants of its colonial history, the huge expatriate community (and their mostly nonexistent interaction with locals), the capitalistic spirit that runs counter to the increasing mainland Chinese presence, the verticalityness (is that a word?) of it all, as if it were built on sheer will alone.  I am lucky and grateful to be enjoying this, for now.  For now, it is enough to be in the present.

...oh, except I'm not going to lie, I also love love love the ability to fly to a whole number of countries at the few clicks of a button before the onset of a weekend.  Because work ruined my planned trip to Hanoi, I'm hoping to go next weekend instead.  And the next weekend after that, I will be in Bangkok visiting my sister (presuming the floods don't rush through).  It's not a bad life.


No comments:

Post a Comment