Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hanoi Part 3: In the Lap of Luxury

Soooo, we get to the last part of the vacation.  Not unlike any other developing country (and, let's face it - developed countries as well), there are vast income inequalities in Hanoi.  I always feel pretty conflicted about staying in a high fallutin' luxury hotel that is so incongruous with its surroundings - though admittedly some places are worse than others.   

 
There were a few parts during our stay when we were aghast, for example, that the hotel could charge 60,000 dong (US$3) for a bottle of water that cost 15,000 dong on the street or 110,000 dong for a beer that cost 10,000 on the street.  And the contrast when we left the sooty and noisy streets behind by merely stepping through the doors into our beautiful, luxurious establishment, full of white tourists, felt a bit too sharp.  I hesitate to use the word colonial to describe it, as obviously Vietnam has a long and varied history and the nation's interpretation of its past is evolving to this day.  But it crossed my mind when everything in the hotel was labeled partially in French, and the local hotel persons would greet every guest with a cheery "Bonjour". 




But all those thoughts aside, I cannot deny that staying at the Sofitel Legend Metropole was pretty delightful.  And I am a bit ashamed to say, but I think it was the kind of antidote we needed for the tensions (built up from work) and stress (built up from trying to cross the streets of Hanoi).





Perks at the pool
Le piece de resistance.  Oooooh, lovely clawfoot tub, how I wish I had one.
Breakfast spread
Amazing cheese plate.  What a way to start a morning.
The cheese spread (after I devoured most of it).  I was slightly obsessed.
How cool is this?  A genuine piece of honeycomb dripping fresh honey. 
Our hotel was perfectly situated near Hoan Kiem lake in the Old Quarter
Our hotel was very popular with the engagement pictures.  There were multiple couples getting their pictures snapped every day.
All in all, Hanoi was a lovely trip and I'm so glad we took the time out of our busy days to go.  It was also more thought-provoking than I expected, and it reminded me of why I so much love to travel.  Now that we've returned to Hong Kong, we're watching an episode per night of this great documentary put together by the History Channel, Vietnam in HD, which I highly recommend that everyone check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment