Thursday, April 27, 2023

Singapore Outings

This is the last post in my Singapore series!  

I spent one of the nights while we were in Singapore with my friend Stacy, who happened to be in town for 3 days from California.  We went to college and law school together, and it's nothing short of a small miracle that we busy working mamas were able to enjoy a delicious dinner talking and walking in Singapore together, of all places!  We realized the last time either of us saw each other was either at my wedding or else very closely thereabouts, when Stacy had the chance to come through Hong Kong briefly before her trip to Everest base camp. This time we spent an evening eating Nonya cuisine and then exploring Gardens by the Bay, finally ending up in Marina Bay Sands itself for me to get a taxi.
Other than my excursion with Stacy, Michael and I repeated a visit to Whitegrass in Chijmes - a fancy date night that we were lucky enough to get to almost exactly 5 years ago (Mother's Day 2018 versus Easter 2023).  

It's kind of amazing to do a compare of all the changes that have occurred in our lives in 5 years. I really struggle in the day to day to maintain perspective.  Probably due to a variety of factors (my personality, the high intensity nature of my job, the academically rigorous and competitive school environments I was always exposed to, etc. etc.), I often feel every little setback or mistake disproportionately.  Small repetitive experiences like these help me to zoom out and marvel how much things have changed or improved over time.
My selfie game is so weak. I couldn't figure out how to get the same replica of a picture from before.  I also couldn't figure out how to show more of my dress. 
The excursion and date night was great. The decor was unchanged and as impressive as ever.  The food was... shockingly pretty bad, especially at that price point. It felt like they were just calling it in. It's possible the food wasn't good in 2018 and we just imagined it all, but more likely the place has been propped up due to management changes and other business decisions which rendered our dinner date pretty bland.  We may have loved Singapore with kids but undoubtedly the food choices in Hong Kong are way better.
As you can see, we managed to do a LOT in 1 week in Singapore.  It was a great trip and all too soon it was time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment