Saturday, November 9, 2013

Please Switch Off Your Electronic Devices... NOT.

I just received this news announcement from USAirways (unsurprisingly, since moving out to Asia, all flight news have become a huge part of my inbox). 
News about portable electronics in flight
We're excited to announce that you can now use your portable electronic devices under 10,000 feet. That means smaller, handheld approved devices can be used in ‘airplane mode' during all phases of flight – from taxi to takeoff to landing.

To celebrate, we'll have a special edition of #SpotUS and you can win an iPad mini and more. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the details.                                 

Apparently it's because their airplanes have been upgraded so that they are compliant with FAA regulations and can handle any interference from these devices, such that it does not mess up the cockpit's interactions with the signal towers.

Sometimes flying seems like such a precarious, crazy, thing. 

Please, please don't tell me that the safety of the entire plane was dependent on every person dutifully turning off their electronic devices.  There have definitely been times where I thought I turned off my blackberry, but when I landed I realized I had not.  Maybe it's entirely a mental thing, but those things can be hard to power down!

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they continue not to offer wireless on my long haul flights.  Please.  It's becoming harder and harder to have uninterrupted stretches where you simply *cannot* be reached.  Let this be the last haven.

1 comment: