Thursday, March 9, 2023

Happy International Women's Day

For International Women's Day this year, the theme was #EmbraceEquity, which highlighted an important concept and distinction between equality and equity

While we celebrate IWD and draw attention to the gaps in pay and standards that disproportionately affect women, (just to name a few, the micro aggressions and double standards and biases), may we also take a moment to acknowledge all the work that remains to make this world a truly equitable place for all.  

May we all work together fiercely and fervently to embrace equity, so that we and our future generations - the men as well as women, our daughters as well as our sons - may enjoy equal opportunities - whether at home or at work or in any other place - and co-exist peacefully in a world that truly recognizes, celebrates and values our differences.

Yesterday to mark the day I participated in a floral jamming event at bonart in Tai Kwun.
My finished product:
It felt touch and go for a while, but I went for an asymmetrical interpretation which I daresay I ended up quite pleased with.  

I received some skeptical looks along the way but no matter - I got to enjoy a creative side I hadn't before tapped into and, most importantly, for an hour or two lived a lifelong dream - getting to play with fresh flowers to my heart's content!!  

I found the act of floral arranging to be meditative and strangely soothing. You have to focus on the project at hand, because you can really only stick the flower in once (in the best interest of preserving the integrity of the sponge that serves as the base and holder).  So it requires concentration and forethought and comes with a little pressure - but it still allows you to be creative and free because you're working in 3D (4D if you incorporate texture and smell), and most mistakes can still be corrected.  

It was addictive. This may become a dangerous and expensive hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment