Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Playdates, an Unexpected Meet Up, and More Parties and Playdates

The kids had a great playdate at AMC a couple of weekends back.
Following that, we had some unexpected visitors, namely my dad's cousin (he is the son of my paternal grandpa's younger sister) and his wife.  We had never had the opportunity to meet.   

They had only met my parents and various family members over the years, as China had opened up slowly.  My dad and uncle said my grandpa and his sister were reunited in 1999 after 50 years of not laying eyes on each other.  Can you imagine?  I couldn't believe it at first, but of course that's what happened.  I just hadn't thought through the realities of war, revolution, and a world where communication methods weren't instantaneous.  

This encounter awakened me to the realization that I have many family members I have yet to meet.   I can't believe I never really thought beyond my parents' parents and siblings. It's a strange feeling. Over dinner I couldn't help but marvel at how so many of my uncle's actions, demeanor and facial expressions reminded me of my dad and grandpa.   His voice (though his Henan accent is much lighter than my grandpa's) immediately brought me back to when my grandpa was still alive. 
That excitement was followed by another weekend of epic birthday parties (at Bamboo Grove and AMC), then some really fun times at Parkview last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment