Saturday, May 5, 2018

Routines, Fitness and Other Happenings

It's already May!  I feel like I disappeared into a wormhole for a period of months, such that my life is very clearly divided into a segment of all the time before I had Lola, and now.  Everything in the early months of this year feels like it took place in a separate dimension, and I have to constantly remind myself that we are already nearly halfway through 2018.  It's a really weird feeling.

Work was much better this week.  I was promoted to counsel at my firm last year (the official announcement occurred while I was on maternity leave), and so, aside from a title that showcases my experience (10 years working as a lawyer now, wow!  In fact, my law school reunion is this weekend and I can't believe it's been that long) and a slight bump in pay, my role has changed to encompass more of a business and client development focus.  Or, maybe it's more fair to say that that was always a part of the job, but now it's more of an emphasis.  This week, with the frenzy of the past deal behind me, I was able to feel less stressed and put the job and role in perspective.

My return to the job was in part so stressful because I was putting a ton of pressure on myself - I felt like I needed to prove that I was good/that I deserved the title/that nothing had changed/that the promotion was not a mistake.  But when I was complimented on my work, and I realized all my anxiety and dread and stress was self-imposed and for naught, I also realized that my own mindset was the real issue here. Sure, with a new title comes more responsibility, but it also comes with more freedom and authority.   And I worked really, really hard to get here - so why should I be the one to second guess my accomplishments?  That mental pep talk helped ease a lot of my anxiety. 

Re-signing a two year gym contract has kickstarted my campaign to get back into shape.  I have started going back to the gym routinely now - so far, seven days in a row and I am hoping to continue the streak!  I'm back in my yoga and spinning classes, though I haven't ventured into any weightlifting or running yet.
Bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning -the baby that doesn't sleep!
Finally, the days continue to pass quickly with Lola gaining new quirks and skills every day.  She has moved on from peas to beetroot (poor thing, she likes fruit so much that I've decided she is only getting vegetables for now), which she was willing to tolerate (barely).  She had a grand time getting it all over her face and hands though...
The beet bandit
She still loves water best
Staining everything red!
She continues to love to read and will peruse books very patiently and intently.

Her new favorite things are going outside, and playing.

During the day, she really doesn't eat or sleep well because all she wants to do is go outside and play.  In the evening, we can't even bring her into her room because she knows that that means it's bedtime.  I've read about making sure to give your baby a routine so s/he knows it's time for bed.  Well, for my child, the routine is what clues her in to lose her mind because she doesn't want to go to sleep!

When she actually does fall asleep, inevitably it's in some weird position like this, on her side with her legs propped on her crib slats, or her arm flung over her face/eyes.  What a funny little one she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment