Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Thanksgiving Recap, and Nearly 39 Weeks!

Here are some pictures from our Thanksgiving dinners last week.  As mentioned, I went to one with friends outside at the Blue Butcher, and then we did our own fusion thing at home on Friday.  Both meals were excellent and I felt very satisfied with how they went!

Blue Butcher put out an impressive spread.  We (actually, the husbands) ordered a bunch of appetizers and sides to start.  There was tuna salad, bone marrow, foie gras...and we had sides of corn, stuffing, and carrots and lentils.

Then the big bird showed up, paired with cranberry sauce and gravy and two heads of roasted garlic (yum)!


Dessert was an amazing, out-of-this-world pie.  I have never liked pecan pie and I was pretty reluctant to try this one but now I understand.  Pecan pie does not equal chocolate pecan pie, which does not equal chocolate salted caramel pecan pie.  WOW.  I had my entire slice paired with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and just loved it.  I ate it too quickly to get a picture, heh.

The next day, our fusion Thanksgiving went so well that Michael and I have decided that we are going to do a Peking duck coupled with sides for our next Thanksgiving too.

Action shot of the homemade cranberry sauce!

Here is our table, with Peking duck (one plate of meat, one plate of skin, one plate of cucumbers and spring onions, one plate of the wrappers, and one little tureen of plum sauce), mashed potatoes from scratch, garlic roasted Brussels sprouts (yummmm), stuffing (unashamed to admit this) and the homemade cranberry sauce.
 Michael had gotten me flowers that week and it was the perfect backdrop, along with our candles, to dinner!
 I love Thanksgiving, have I mentioned?  (Oh yeah, these are the dining chairs that we got from Taobao that I love.)
 After that huge dinner, we had a delicious, made from scratch pumpkin pie with a pecan praline topping, paired with almond ice cream.  It was also SO good.
 I attempted discipline and took a slightly smaller slice and only one scoop of ice cream.  I was quite conscious, being at 38.5 weeks (and now as I type this, being one day shy of 39 weeks) that the baby can't be too big to get out!


Finally, I forgot to post that, before I went on leave from work last week, a bunch of my colleagues took me out for lunch.  We went to Commissary in Pacific Place, and went all out on a ton of food.  The rib platter was so impressive that I couldn't resist taking a picture.  In addition to this, we had tacos (pulled pork, Korean grilled beef short ribs, fish, cauliflower), steak, salads, guac and chips, truffle cheese fries, as well as dessert... it was a total (and delicious) pigfest!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Particularly impressed because I found it so difficult to collect the items for a traditional Thanksgiving when I was living in Tokyo. Best of luck with your delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and wishing you a happy, healthy holidays!

      Delete