Thursday, November 23, 2017

38 Weeks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

So I didn't realize a week has already passed since my last blog post... all is well here and we are on "bebe watch" as one of my friends coined it.

Turns out things got pretty hectic as I was trying to wind down at work.  I have one last remaining deal that is still lingering - we had a fancy signing ceremony last Saturday (complete with the largest magnum of champagne I've seen in a while!) which was very exciting, but the deal is still not as fully wrapped up as I would like.

Today is my first formal day at home, officially on maternity leave.  I still have a few pesky little things that I am looking at / wrapping up on the work front, so it's not total relaxation quite yet, but it's getting there.

Now that I'm fully in the 38 week+ home stretch, I am going to the doctor every week, diligently counting kicks, and feeling quite a bit of pelvic discomfort.  I can't really complain because I've had such an incredibly smooth pregnancy journey so far, but just this week I started getting a pain in my right pelvic/hip/inner thigh area, which has made it a bit of a struggle to walk comfortably now.  The best I can describe it is that it hurts on my right side when I walk, as if I had pulled a groin muscle.  It also adds to the challenge of sleeping at night, especially when I am trying to turn over (the left/right conundrum).  Just lovely!

My parents are showing up in exactly two weeks - I am so excited!! They are also being absolute champions and bringing us two suitcases packed to the hilt with a combined whopping total of 90 pounds of stuff (just for us and the baby - that doesn't include the clothes and accessories that they need for their trip). And then a week after their arrival, my sister and her fiance show up - I am so excited!!  I love that we get to spend Christmas in Hong Kong, all together.  My only wish is that my grandmothers could be present as well.  Skipping forward a bit, I can't wait for them to meet the baby.  Then we will have four generations of women gathered together - what an amazing thing!

On Sunday last weekend I went into full DIY mode, making lots of paper ornaments by hand, and stringing my own sparkly garlands for the Christmas tree.  We expect our tree delivery by next Monday, which will really make it feel like the holidays around here (despite the very mild 70 degree weather...)

Our nursery is finally almost ready - we've got the crib, the changing table, the wardrobe, the dresser - now just waiting for the final touch, the rocking glider.

We are also slowly but steadily growing our herb and vegetable collection.  Michael plans to build a shelf out there so we can put out more potted plants.  Currently we have Thai basil, sweet basil, mint, romaine lettuce, celery, and lavender.  I would really like to add some cilantro, and maybe some chives, and then... tomato plants. 

Tonight we are celebrating Thanksgiving with a group of friends at the Blue Butcher, and tomorrow we are doing our own informal fusion Thanksgiving dinner at home (a Peking duck delivery in lieu of a turkey, plus cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, Brussels sprouts and pumpkin pie).

In short, we have so much to be thankful for.  As someone who often focuses on the downside or dwells on the regrets, this seems the perfect time for me, coming up on this holiday season, to acknowledge all of my incredible blessings and good fortune, and to remind myself to cherish and savor it all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment