Friday, October 6, 2017

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! And We're Now in October

Gosh, you guys, I just don't know where the days and nights go any more!  I really thought work was going to slow down after my craziness in Australia, but unfortunately two of my other deals have heated up.  With a myriad of other corporate housekeeping items (catching up on CLE and CPD credits, preparing presentations, answering one-off questions) and just generally dealing with all kinds of STUFF that keep popping up, it's been hectic.

And instead of getting a proper public holiday today like I should have, I got volunteered (thrown) onto a terrible work project that took up about 9 hours of my day.  And I am up blogging at half past midnight instead of going to bed, which I really need to do to ensure that I get enough sleep for my arduous, challenging, 9 am meeting tomorrow.  I am GRUMPY.

Then, of course, there's all of the life stuff that we have happening.

Last week, the domestic helper that we hired, and who we thought was ready to be settled, ended up falling through.  Her behavior was so odd, and her story so inconsistent, that despite our best efforts to give her the benefit of the doubt, we just could not proceed to hire her.  Basically, in the span of something like 48 hours, we went from having a signed contract, to her quitting, to us wishing her well in her future endeavours, to her changing her mind and wanting to work with us again, to our vacillating and deciding to give her another chance, to her telling us that she had already agreed to another contract because of our failure to contact her in time (i.e., 12 hours), to our wishing her well (again!), to her contacting us again (!) and saying that actually she would like to work with us after all.  My God.  By the end of this, I was dreading any message that popped up on my phone from her.  It was clearly not going to work.

I went into action mode and lined up something like 10 helper interviews in the span of five days, and then, we decided to offer the job to the very next helper that we met with.  I then proceeded to cancel all of the other interviews and now we are keeping our fingers crossed that her application and our paperwork get processed without a hitch.  It has certainly been an adventure!

We have also been trying to get the apartment ready, and part of that has been to clear out the furniture in the guest room and the items we currently had stored in the helper's room.  To our surprise, our landlord was amenable to our removing the bed frame and mattress that had come with our rental.  Michael also has to outfit the helper's room with a bed, desk, and some shelves.

I've also been on Taobao searching for new dining chairs, a bookshelf, a shoe closet... we are doing some refurnishing around here!  Taobao is a bit confusing, but the plus side is that it's forcing me to hone my Chinese skills.

We also have to get our taxes prepared before the looming deadline, which is already extended from April.

Sigh.

We are also still trying to decide on a name for the baby.  Bah.  It's currently feeling like a very big thing (it's going to be the name by which this person is known for life, and all the good or bad nicknames or connotations that will come out of it, and will probably shape the baby's personality, and...yikes!)

The saving grace to all of this is that the baby has been active and moving (the kicks feel different now, more like rolling and pushing and less like thumping or punching), I still feel great (really no lower back pain soreness or pain at all, and no discomfort except for some sporadic heartburn, especially in certain poses during yoga) - with all of this other stuff going on, I say, thank goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment