Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Postcard from Down Under - My First Time in Australia!

Hi everyone!  I feel like I've been playing "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago" this year, because this week finds me in Sydney (surprise)!

It's my first time ever down under and so far I have to say, Australia is lovely.  The sun... the sun.  The water.  The sky.  I get the comparisons to California.  I'm also delighted that I get to cross off a new continent from my list!  Now all that's left is Antarctica! 

Michael and I were marveling about my travels this year, which has been dialed up to a slightly insane level.  The baby will have been to four continents (multiple times) while in utero.  Yikes.

Flying while pregnant has become a little more difficult and I have found that I have quite some trouble sleeping.  I think I barely managed to get two hours of sleep, total, on my flight, despite having a lay flat business seat and eyeshades, ear plugs and plenty of water at my disposal .  Not ideal.  We had a lot of turbulence during the flight so it was unfortunate - dinner service got prolonged and I didn't stay up to wait for the fruit and the dessert.   I did enjoy a surprisingly charming, light hearted romantic comedy, "Everybody Loves Somebody," before going to sleep.  I went to sleep very easily, but woke up after what was essentially a nap and couldn't go back to sleep.  Sigh.

I'm a bit turned around though, I have to admit - for a good few seconds tonight I couldn't recall if it was Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.  I left Hong Kong on a 9:30 pm overnight flight on Monday that had my landing (with the 2 hour time difference) around 9 am on Tuesday.  From there, it was straight to the hotel, a quick breakfast and shower, and then off to the meeting rooms.  Thankfully I was able to call it a day around 4 pm, take a hot bath, and crawl into bed for a much-needed nap.

I did manage to go out to dinner with a friend of mine from Hong Kong who has moved to Sydney and had two kids since (time flies)!  We went to Hubert, a French restaurant in the central business district, and then she kindly drove me around to show me some of the sights and lay of the land.  It was great to catch up and I love being able to meet up with people all over the world, so that was a plus!

Some pictures from my day:

The big ballroom conference room that I camped out in with computer for the better half of my morning.  We were at our local counsel's offices, and they have some nice ones in a historic building in the CBD.
They had a nice library floor with an atrium and comfortable seating area. 
 View from my room looking down and out (you can see a sliver of the Sydney harbor) from the 30th floor:

 At night, dinner at Hubert's.
 We got a (very dark) picture in front of the famous Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge!  My first sighting, woo hoo.
 The whole city is just lovely - tranquil, full of trees and parks, and surrounded by water.

No comments:

Post a Comment