Saturday, August 19, 2017

Food and Wandering Around Sheung Wan

Sometime a week (or two? It all flies by so quickly) ago, my friend and I went to get pedicures at my new favorite salon in Hong Kong, Lavande Spa on Bonham Road, then went to eat Thai food at the newly-opened Krua Walaiphan on High Street.

I got a pretty bright Barbie-like coral pink (rather unlike me - my tastes in nailpolish tend to stray to the dark purple or red, or else to the delicate but rather neutral light pinks, grays and beige), but I decided to counter my tired, hungry, overly-relieved-that-it's-Friday self with a bright pop of color.  While still too pink for my taste, the color has succeeded in making me smile every time I stare at my feet while doing my yoga poses.

The serving portions at Krua Walaiphan are pretty healthy.  The restaurant has received some stellar reviews since its grand opening, and it was packed on the night we were there.  However, I have to say, I found the food really salty.  The ingredients were fresh and I get the feeling it is a family-run business, run by an actual Thai family, but they go really strong on the flavor.  To start, longan ginger drink paired with freshly battered fish cakes.
A pork red curry.
We ordered sticky rice and also some stir fried chicken.
People have asked me if I have any cravings, and I say no, except this past week I kind of went through a Vietnamese food phase.  Something about the hearty soup and beef in the pho was really comforting and exactly what I wanted.  That said, I've liked pho since I was like, ten years old, so I don't think I need pregnancy as an excuse to indulge in this dish!
I also had the chance to wander through one of my favorite streets in Sheung Wan on my weekend walk home, after a long massage.  I saw some cute street scenes that I quickly snapped.  A fun vintage shop, "InBetween."
This restaurant has a random window in the back that always cracks me up - a quick look into the kitchen of some poor sous chef who is slaving over his dishes.
Sometimes, on a leisurely Sunday afternoon, people get really creative with where they set up their tea and snacks stands.
Here, I saw to my amusement a couple of tourists trying for many minutes to jab at the secret button that would allow them to enter the elusive restaurant (hidden behind a stamp storefront), Mrs. Pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment