Sunday, March 26, 2017

Steak Dinner at Buenos Aires Polo Club

We went to a dinner a couple of weeks back at the Buenos Aires Polo Club, a restaurant I've been meaning to check out for a while because I had heard really good things about their steak.  Even though the restaurant is located in the LKF tower, which made me a bit leery (think celebrity chefs or conglomerate chains that are a bit generic), I had heard good things about the food.  And it turns out, I thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of my filet.  Pictures below!

I didn't capture any pictures of our appetizers - those were tasty enough, consisting of a steak tartar with a pampa (or a roti-style bread), a melted pot of cheese with bread for dipping (always and forever, melted cheese) and deep fried calamari.  We ordered a bottle of Achaval Ferrer's 2012 bottling of the Quimera, a blend of Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.  I chose it for sentimental and nostalgic reasons - this was a winery I visited when I went to Mendoza during spring break of my 3L year at law school.  I couldn't believe it!  When I saw the name all these old memories came rushing back.  I had purchased two bottles of wine from that winery at the time, including a 2008 Quimera.  To be enjoying a 2012 Quimera nearly 10 years later felt incredible.

The restaurant comes to you with a tray of knives, asking you to test them out and choose the one that feels best to your hand/grip.   Set out below are the knives that we chose (one of us wasn't eating steak and one one of us was eating a 2-person sized tenderloin - I'll let you guess which knife belonged to whom)!
 The tenderloin comes to the table in a cloth and gets tenderly snipped out of its shell.
 They then cut it and serve it in perfectly round slices.
 Yep, haha.  No surprise there.
 I ordered a 10 oz filet that was perfectly cooked, with a delightful char-grilled exterior.  It was very tender and tasty.
 We ordered a bunch of sides - creamed spinach, truffle fries, mushrooms, and mashed potatoes.  I thought the mushrooms were a bit too heavily salted but everything else was pretty satisfying.
 One of my friends ordered a shrimp entree, which she pronounced delicious.  She ate the whole thing clean, leaving only a few shells behind.
 Then we ordered two desserts - one was a clear showstopper, with a tray of charcoal that they light at the table, for you to roast your marshmallows.
Sure, it is a little gimmicky, but it was really fun to toast it.  And I didn't try it, but I'm told it was fantastic and delicious.  Apparently beneath the marshamllow was a complex frozen chocolate concoction that paired really well with the heated gooey exterior.
 We also ordered another dessert, an apple torta, paired with a cinnamon ice cream.


Overall, I thought the restaurant's forte was the grass-fed beef.  The steaks were very good value, and they offered a nice range of sizes from 10 oz. to 30 oz. which can be for individuals or sharing.  The sides were okay, and the appetizers were fine, but come here for the meat.

Buenos Aires Polo Club
7th floor, LKF Tower
33 Wyndham Street
Hong Kong
+852 2321 8681

No comments:

Post a Comment