Monday, February 29, 2016

Decadent Omakase Sushi Lunch at Sushi Ginza Onodera

Happy leap day!  I was lucky to have the chance to try out an omakase lunch with my friend at Sushi Ginza Onodera, in Sai Ying Pun, last week.

The restaurant is located on the first floor of a building that is not easy to find, but after walking around in confused circles for a bit I figured it out.  Once inside, I was immediately led inside a room with no windows, commanded by a large bar manned by two sushi chefs.  The decor was pretty simple, and not having windows was a little bit discombobulating, but I think most sushi bars shun natural sunlight.
 Sushi chefs never wear any jewelry.
The restaurant clearly emphasizes fresh ingredients.  Part of the fun of eating here was witnessing the preparation.  I love all the various little plates and finders and bowls and saucers.
The chef prepared the ingredients for our omakase in advance, laying out each slice with the precision of a skilled surgeon.  Do you see the bowl of pickled ginger?  It was addictive- so tender, tart and slightly spicy - and this is from someone who doesn't strongly favor ginger!
We got a little egg custard to start, layered with salmon roe and topped with a little bit of fresh wasabi.
 I forgot to take pictures of the first two pieces of sushi that came in our order.  Ooops.  I was hungry and the food was too good!

And now… an onslaught of pictures of pieces of raw fish on top of rice.  Everything tasted wonderful.  This is the kind of sushi experience I most enjoy - pure and unadorned, with every mouthful pre-determined by a master who has already considered the correct proportion of a complex mix of flavors and textures.  The proper proportion of wasabi and soy sauce is already determined by the chef here - no dunking of the fish into a messy saucer here!


 




My only complaint is that I wish our chef had introduced and explained each piece when he placed it on our platters - I could taste foie gras and garlic and yuzu and I recognized sea urchin and yellowtail and shrimp, but it would have been nice to hear the more subtle ingredients before plopping the pieces onto my palate.
 The finishing dishes were a miso soup with bits of fish cheek, and a choice of desserts (I chose the yuzu sorbet).
Omakase lunch starts at $380 for 10 pieces.  We chose the 13 piece set for $580.  There is one more lunch set that is even more decadent, but frankly I think one would be hard pressed to finish it all!

Sushi Ginza Onodera
1/F, Hollywood Centre
77-91 Queen's Road West
+852 3568 7788

No comments:

Post a Comment