Friday, August 29, 2014

Seeing Phoenix For the First Time

On my whistle stop tour of the US, Phoenix is my first stop.  My sister has been living here since the beginning of the year and, from what I can gather, really enjoying it.  It's really interesting because it's such a different environment from where I currently live - in nearly every sense of the word.

The air is very dry here.  Hong Kong is incredibly humid.  Arizona is sprawling, low, far flung and, from what I can see so far, very clean and neat.  Hong Kong is compact, crazy tall, crammed and, from a very easily discernible distance, very dirty and gross.  People drive everywhere in Arizona.  I hadn't been in a private car since… well.  The last time I was in the US.  My sister lives in a 2,700+ square foot one level ranch house with a backyard and two car garage.  Michael and I live in a barely 500 square foot fifth floor walk up apartment.  I mean, whoa, right?

So far I have really been enjoying the chance to catch up with her and also see a new city.  The desert heat really amazes me.  It hit 107 degrees yesterday and, while it was very hot and I did feel a little bit like I was baking, I would have thought it was about 90 degrees tops.

I arrived in Phoenix around 6 pm and we went straight to dinner at Windsor, a fun and hip New American joint that serves burgers, salads, sandwiches and lots of different craft beers.  The portions are big.  I got a brown bag chicken sandwich (chicken, avocado, roasted tomatoes and goat cheese on a brioche bun) with a side of kale salad.
Reunited!
 The restaurant has misters all around the patio outside, to keep people cool.  It is right next to an ice cream parlor, Churn.  We met up with some of my sister's friends after dinner there to indulge in some ice cream.  My sister is so much taller than me!  (Important note: not shown: a slight heel on her flats.)
 Piggies with our ice cream.

 The next morning, we went to T.C. Eggington's, a very nice brunch spot in Mesa.  The restaurant's waitstaff dress like Brownie Scouts (white polo shorts, clean pressed pleated khakis, tall socks) but everyone is so nice and friendly.  Service with a smile, America!  Good job.
 The portions are huge.  This was the English Muffin French Toast, which my sister selected.

This was my monster omelette, with artichoke hearts, feta cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil and kalamata olives.  Maybe I was really really hungry but it might have been the best omelette I've ever had.  I'm not even usually an omelette person.  But this one hit the spot perfectly and I could not stop inhaling it.  The snappy zing of the fresh basil and the very salty kalamata olives cut perfectly through the creaminess of the artichoke and feta.

My only complaint about the food was the coffee - they gave us a gigantic pitcher of it for $2.75 so I guess I shouldn't complain… but it was so weak sauce!  The coffee was so watery I chugged a cup before declaring it was a lost cause and I would need something with a bit more caffeine.  We joked that this may be the drawback of getting brunch in a place that has a high Mormon population.

After brunch, we did the first active wedding planning I have done to date - we went to a lovely boutique in Scottsdale to try on some wedding dresses.  That was pretty fun.  Some of the dresses were so over the top and heavy!  I doubt I will end up with a mermaid tail or a huge train or a heavy bustle, but I went in with an open mind and was surprised at how some things looked much better or were much prettier than I expected.  I admit the regency novel reading part of me got a slight thrill at the bone in corsets and organza and chiffon and pinafores (pinafores!) and satin and all of the beautiful pomp and circumstance of these gowns.

After that, we went to the appropriately named shopping mecca that is "Last Chance" - where items that don't sell from Nordstrom Rack end up!
 Dangerous, ladies.  Very dangerous.  Oh there really may just be a thing called retail therapy.  I emerged three pairs of shoes (all heels! I'm turning over a new leaf) and a Betsey Johnson dress richer and very happy.  It was like a time warp - my sister and I spent way too much time in there!
After shopping, the logical thing to do of course was to go stuff our faces with Mexican food.  We each got a taco platter and went to town at the restaurant's salsa bar.  Oh, yum.  I got the marlin taco and the veggie taco (sigh, should have gone with the steak or pork taco) and made it about halfway through my refried beans and rice before I thought I would explode.
We came home around 6 after that action packed day and I pretty much slinked into the bedroom and dropped into a dead sleep in a matter of seconds.  All illusions of trying to hold out and sleep at a later hour flew out of my head.

My sister had planned for us to go to the desert botanical garden and see the flowers via a flashlight tour at dusk/night, but that just was not happening.  My jet lag on this trip has been pretty vicious - maybe because my work sleep cycle had been so bad before I left!

It was probably a good thing, all in all - I really needed the rest.  And plus, we are going to hike the Grand Canyon today!  My first time seeing this very majestic sight, I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment