Thursday, November 22, 2012

Wednesday Night Date


Yakitoritei is a Japanese restaurant that specializes in the grilled skewers (yakitori) of Japanese cuisine.  It's situated at 49-51 Woo Sing road in Happy Valley.  I've heard good reviews about the place and had wanted to try it out for a while.  Now that the horse races are back, it seemed a perfect Wednesday date night.  My friend and I had planned to do this last Wednesday night, but due to work, I had no choice but to postpone until this Wednesday. 



We stuffed ourselves with the following at Yakitoritei:

bacon wrapped asparagus, a favorite
chicken joint - crunchy!
beef wrapped mushrooms and miso cod - the cod was perfectly flaky and tender
green beans and fish flakes

oysters - plump, juicy and crispy - another favorite
scallops - a disappointment, because clearly frozen
sesame chicken - very juicy and flavorful - impressive from a grill
king sized prawn - a disappointment, because a bit tough, not very sweet, and expensive!

mushrooms - unassuming but savory
They sat us at the bar, where we could watch the two "grillers" flip and salt everybody's order on the very small grill.
 

We then strolled to the Happy Valley Racecourse, where we managed to see two races despite the pouring rain. Alas, my bet, Noble Deluxe, failed me, but my friend won on her first bet! Very exciting.



On a sidenote - evening calls are probably the biggest change in my working schedule since moving out to Asia.  Although many of our clients are global, most are still situated in New York.  It ends up that almost all of my calls are in the early morning (probably 30% of the time) or else at night (70%, especially if India or London is involved), and my day / afternoon is relatively quiet.  I've tried not to let this bother me, but sometimes it can be a real bummer.  Having calls every night at 8 or 9 pm when the day has been quiet just makes the working day seem so much longer.  The worst is when you have back to back late night (11 pm, midnight) calls, followed closely by early morning (7 am, 8 am) calls.  Yuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment