Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Here's hoping that everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.  I like that it focuses on food and family and friends.  I like that it encourages us to pause in our busy lives and just think about the good, the important, and the positive.  Come to think of it, maybe Thanksgiving should be held once a month.

At work, we all went to the American Club for a festive Thanksgiving lunch.  It was delicious and I stuffed myself as befitted the occasion.


For dinner, it was just Michael and me this year, so we decided not to do a turkey.  I made herb crusted pork loin, brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes.  Michael made the stuffing.  I'm afraid I was so busy cooking I took very sporadic pictures.  So I only have one at the very beginning, when the pork was still marinating, and one in the middle, when the brussels sprouts were sizzling.


 
I thought I was being so clever by going to the wet markets instead of the supermarket to buy a kabocha pumpkin for my pie.  And I felt triumphant when the pumpkin only cost HK$13 for a whole pumpkin, instead of the HK$30 that the supermarket charges for a quarter wedge.  Except, when I got home, I realized... that my kabocha pumpkin was actually a huge, deformed, acorn squash.  Due to that wee small insignificant mistake, and an inordinately frustrating inability to find cream or condensed milk, I'm going to try to make the pumpkin pie this weekend instead.  It will be like leftover pumpkin pie, except not.

To set the mood, we had lots of candles (I like that they're all mismatched) and dramatic, fragrant white lilies.  To go with the theme of the night, this picture was snapped when the table was half-set.











No comments:

Post a Comment