Saturday, July 14, 2012

Repulse Bay Beach

We had an enjoyable Saturday, beginning with some brunch at the cute and dependable Phoenix off of the escalators -- Michael got the big breakfast, where he opted for the very healthy combination plate of eggs over easy, hash browns, baked beans, sausage and fries, and I got the minute steak with roasted tomato, two fried eggs, fries, and a small side salad.  It was all very delicious.  I'm only a little abashed to admit that I ate my entire plate minus one egg yolk and two fries.

We then headed for Repulse Bay beach, just to sit out and relax in the sun and surf.  Despite my misgivings about the water (it's the same water that all of those idling yachts and tankers share!) we swam out to one of the three floating docks.  It's pretty embarrassing to admit, but I could barely swim to the dock without feeling like I was going to drown.  My legs were super shaky and tired by the time I got there and my breath was coming fast.  And that was including a quick break where I hung on to Michael and panted really hard.  And I think the whole distance was probably about two laps in a pool.  Granted, we were swimming against the waves so there was some resistance.  And I wasn't putting my head in the water which I think kind of made my arms less effective.  However, ultimately, I think we can conclude... that swimming is not my forte.  After coming back to the shore, I collapsed gratefully on my sand-strewn towel, plopped on my black straw hat, and cuddled my kindle.  That is more the type of exercise I can get behind!






Finally, we ended the night by getting hotpot at Little Fat Sheep in Causeway Bay, where Michael goggled at my ability to eat copious amounts of tofu, lamb, winter melon, taro and vermicelli.  Then, as if that were insufficient, I greedily bought not one but TWO fruit juices --  snow pear and sugar cane.

After a breezy ride home on the top deck of the tram (which provides a great perspective of the streets), we ended the night in good spirits.




No comments:

Post a Comment