Friday, July 13, 2012

C'mon, Really? What's with...

the Groupon and Twangoo and ValuUp and various coupon deal groups here.  This probably reveals what kind of (lazy, indulgent) person I am, that I have signed up for all of these email subscriptions (always chasing the elusive trifecta - (i) cheap, (ii) clean and (iii) really well done: (i) manicures/pedicures, (ii) massages and (iii) facials).  It is super girly and I was probably not like this about two years ago, but my love affair with pedicures and massages has only grown stronger with age.

However, despite signing up for all of these various deal feeds, I don't buy anything.  Why?  Well... because in Hong Kong, unlike in the US, where Groupon deals actually stated things straightforwardly like, "Manicure at X Salon, Previously $35, Now $15", in Hong Kong you get... some weird stuff.  Also, I consider these beauty treatments indulgences after a stressful week or after a spat with Michael, and don't really think of them as part of a beauty regime or the foundations to maintaining youth.  In Hong Kong, though, they definitely sell it as such.  It is all about maintaining your health, balancing your chi, whitening your skin, etc. etc.

I have contemplated writing this blog post for about five months now but haven't done so.  Until this morning when I just had to.  Because I woke up to:

"Today's Candy: Discover Authentic Spa with One Placenta Facial... The Ultimate in Organic Beauty."  Apparently it is also "Hollywood's Best Kept Secret."  If this is what it takes to maintain a smooth complexion or be wrinkle free, then please, hand me my wrinkles.

So that is the straw that broke the camel's back.  Should I unsubscribe so I don't see these horrors fill my inbox every morning?  Or should I continue to subscribe to these feeds, so I get gems such as the below?

Pengu Lipo Laser Fat Burning Machine
Bladeless Double Eyelid Treatment
Cellulite Magic Waist
Lymphatic Breast Massages
Ultra Slim Light Massage

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment