Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Coming Home on New Year's Day

We have names!!  Twin 1 is Alexander ("Al") Isaiah, and Twin 2 is Theodore ("Teo") Joseph.

I enjoyed my stay at Matilda so much so that when my OB tried to discharge me on New Year's Eve I politely declined and said I thought I would stay for another day. Honestly, around the clock professional midwives and catering staff at the press of a button, a private room with a hospital bed for getting the perfect feeding position, breastfeeding pillows and six pillows at the ready... I wouldn't have minded staying at Matilda for a while longer!

But the twins were doing great and apparently I was as well, so I figured New Year's day was right.  It also felt kind of special to be coming home on 1/1 with brand new babies.  That seemed like a very fitting ad nice way to kick off a new year.

Here, brothers side by side awaiting their pre-departure bath.
 Proud parents cuddling our new bundles in their (tiny size) super soft polar bear and car bodysuits.
 One more of the family in front of the nursery, including our awesome helpers, Lyn and Jovie.

While we waited for Michael to get the car - Lola was really happy to have me coming home with everybody.
 
 
 

 Lola sang nearly the whole car ride home.
 Lola and mommy with her new brothers in our entryway.
 Just Lola with her brothers.  She says "brothers" in the sweetest, most lyrical way.
 
Michael wanted us to wait for him to park the car before entering the apartment.  I thought the request a bit odd but was happy to comply.  It turns out he had made up the nursery with sheets and had bought matching helium balloons and a welcome banner.  The nursery looked so cozy and beautiful!  We have two cribs but for now the boys sleep together in one. 
 
I arranged for a midwife from Matilda to do a home visit three days after we came home.  She stayed for nearly three hours, doing first a check on me (my scar, swelling in my legs, my blood pressure, my temperature, etc), assessment of my breastfeeding technique and latch and setup, and then check up of the boys - most importantly, for jaundice and their weight gain since birth.  She also assessed their nursery (crib situation for any SIDS risks, swaddling, and bathing station) and my refrigerator to see where and how we were storing any breast milk.  It was really helpful and immensely reassuring.  Al is gaining weight faster than Teo, although they both eat relatively the same amount. They didn't offer this service when Lola was born or else I would definitely have used it then as well.

All in all, we are settling in well and getting to know each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment