Sunday, January 19, 2020

Checking in at 3 Weeks

The boys turned 3 weeks old yesterday!  Wow, that happened quickly.  They have gained a lot of weight, I think, based purely on feel and appearance.  I'm sure they have gained over a pound each, which does not sound like a lot until you consider that that's over 20% of their body weight!

They also look very long, with long coltish legs and long, skinny feet.  I find their little fingers and especially their little toes to be so adorable and irresistible.  I took these pictures yesterday evening after we had a good long feed.  I managed to catch Al in a good mood; Teo, not so much.  And usually, if their personalities so far have been any indication, that's the opposite of their temperament!  Al is also very sweet natured but Teo seems more calm and observant overall.

Here is Al:




 Here is Teo:



As you will note, Al has a little red and white string tied around his ankle.  We have discovered one characteristic that helps us distinguish the brothers, however, out of an abundance of caution we have decided to keep the anklet in case of any confusion!

In retrospect, Lola was a really difficult baby who did not like to feed, did not like to sleep, needed to be held a certain way, etc. etc.  It's only with the benefit of hindsight that we realize this!  I can't tell you how many times I have sat down to breastfeed one or the other brother and marvel at how easily each feed has been accomplished, as opposed to each sweaty wrestling match with Lola!

I was remarking to a friend that this initial period is so fraught with heightened emotions - extreme highs of adrenaline, elation, and the new - and extreme lows of anxiety, overthinking and, yes, boredom.  There have been many a night or day when I sit down to nurse without a phone or a reader and find myself stuck for a good half hour, watching the clock, sometimes wide awake, sometimes in a drowsy stupor, thinking through matters tedious and practical (lists, groceries, to do's), fanciful (vacation destinations, what our lives will look like in two or four years), and completely unhelpful (rehashing old arguments with Michael, worrying about every thing that suddenly seems dangerous or harmful to my defenseless children)...but overall, this has been such a nice period as we settle into becoming a family of five and I get to spend time with my daughter as well as learn my sons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment