Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Adventures in Niseko: Skiing and Carving

So, we actually managed to do a lot in Niseko, much to my delight and surprise.  I was psyching myself out about the whole feeding/pumping thing and it turns out I managed to work it into the schedule quite well, including when I spent nearly a whole day on the slopes skiing.  While it was still a bit stressful overall, this was a really good experience for me before I go back to work (e.g., take a deep breath, it's doable).

I have to admit, so much of our freedom gained on this trip was because we had our helper with us, who could watch Lola for us while we went out for dinner or skied. We also brought both our baby monitor and indoor surveillance camera so we could keep our eyes on Lola like we do at home.

I am not going to lie, I was pretty reluctant to ski.  It took a lot of cajoling on Michael's part, and also my waking up to a beautiful sunshine-filled day with great powder conditions, to accept that I was really going to pull out and put on all of my ski gear, rent a whole set of ski equipment, and haul myself up a big mountain.

This time, all we could think about was how cute the little kids were zooming around on the mountain, and how much fun and how adorable Lola will be when we get her into ski/snowboarding school.  

We were very ambitious and went to the top of the mountain for our very first run.  Here we are in the gondola heading up up up!
 
 The conditions were great and the snow was pristine.  I always forget how beautiful the landscape is here.  The amazing thing about coming to Niseko in March is that there is a ton of sunshine, there is still a ton of snow, and yet the runs are so empty.  There were many times when we felt like we had the mountain to ourselves.
 We stopped in at the Lookout Cafe for a cup of coffee.
Here I am, barely two sips in and feeling giddy/on top of the world.
 
 
Carving...
Caaaaaarvingggggg....
 
I was so sore and tired and sweaty after skiing that it felt amazing when we went to the Hilton onsen and showered and soaked in their mineral waters (set to a comfortable 42 degrees Celsius).  I hadn't managed to try out the Hilton onsen the last time we were in Niseko, which meant this time I was happy to check it off my list.

The onsens require full nudity and so men and women are completely separated.  Each section has an indoor and an outdoor portion.  The indoor portion is hotter because all of the steam is contained, whereas the outdoor portion is more of an experience because you are soaking in hot water while your head (and whatever other portion of your body you want) is exposed to the cold winter air.  The scenery is also more picturesque in the outdoor portion, which overlooks a big carp pond.  We were lucky when we were there because it was snowing slightly, and we could see the little snow flakes dust the water in front of us like confectioner's sugar - if that's not a picture-perfect scenario, then I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment