Friday, May 20, 2016

Amazing Shanghai Pan Fried Dumplings in Tsim Sha Tsui

Friends, sorry for my absence from the blogosphere this month.  Hoping that my performance is better going forward, however, I am off to Vietnam next week so the posts may continue to be a bit spotty still!

Here are some pictures of an amazing Shanghai pan fried dumplings place I just tried out recently with my friend - Cheung Hing Kee Shanghai Pan Fried Buns.  It's not much more than a little counter with some stools in front.
This is the counter where you order.  You have the option of traditional pork filling, or else shrimp, or else a pork and truffle.  This was only an appetizer for my friend and me (before we went somewhere else for dinner) so we opted for the traditional flavor and split only one order between us.

This place got a Michelin star!

For HK$28, you get four delicious piping hot pan fried dumplings.  These are really nice because the skin is very thin, but fried to a nice crispy texture, but… they're also filled with soup!  Yum.  The restaurant gives you a little capsule of vinegar and, if you wish, liberal doses of hot sauce.

Not pictured: Me shooting (ok fine, quickly sipping) the vinegar directly from the capsule.  I know, it sounds really weird…. but I love vinegar.
I meant to take a picture of the inside of the dumpling but I got way too distracted trying to hold it all together (they don't give you a spoon!  It's like a chopstick challenge) and not spill the precious liquid soup inside.  You will just have to trust me that it was fantastic and delicious.

This was my view into the "shop" while I slurped and shoveled the morsels into my mouth as fast as I could.  Check out that pot!

Cheung Hing Kee Shanghai Pan Fried Buns
48-6A Lock Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment