Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sushi, A Work of Art

I went to lunch at Sushi Mori yesterday in Causeway Bay.  We all opted for the chef's choice sushi set.  Each piece was incredible, each one better than the last.  Even if there were some that I didn't like as much as others, I could always, always appreciate the flawless pairing of flavors.

These bite sized morsels were perfectly packaged, each one brilliant from its initial presentation to the very last moment it slid down my greedy gullet. 

Simply lovely.  Sushi looks deceptively simple but is incredibly difficult to master.

I have really changed in my choice of Japanese food. When I was younger, I would eat only maki rolls or sashimi.  I never opted for sushi.   When there was sushi, I got rid of the rice.  Now, I almost only exclusively eat sushi.  I find the combinations and pairings so much more complex and interesting than just sashimi or maki rolls.  I appreciate that there is no cream cheese or spicy mayo sauce that the chef can hide behind.  I love the ratio of rice to fish. 

In order of my lunch set, with a couple missing because I was too eager:

One of my favorites.  A clam of some sort.  This was the one that prompted me to start taking pictures.  The color! The waves!  What a masterpiece.  I couldn't resist.
Squid rubbed with shiso, topped with ginger, green onion, sesame seeds.  Do you see the litle dab of wasabi peeking out?
I know uni, or sea urchin, has lovers and haters, but LOOK at this uni.  Have you ever seen such plump, rich, moist, orange uni?  The mouth feel was incredible. Another one of my favorites.


Another one of my favorites.  Flounder, lightly seared.  So creamy and buttery.
Fatty tuna, topped with a shockingly potent garlic puree.  I think this was chutoro tuna.
The finale, a lightly seared tuna "casserole", laid over the rice, topped with sliced scallions and fried shallots.

No comments:

Post a Comment