Friday, August 17, 2012

Snippy in a Typhoon

So, another typhoon hit Hong Kong yesterday.  This is the third one this summer!  The signal 8 went up shortly after 10 PM.  [Sidenote: I was so anticipating a late arrival at work this morning.  Unfortunately, the typhoon petered out with a little whimper, and was back to a signal 3 by 6 AM.  BLAH.  It was useless and did not get me out of a minute of work.][Sidnote to sidenote: I really like square brackets now.  I never used them until I became a lawyer. What has my life become?]

However, I did take advantage of the high winds and the intermittent rain to get a haircut.    It was perfect timing because the salon was still open, but hardly anyone was there. The humidity in Hong Kong makes my hair quite frizzy, and almost... sticky?  I don't know how to explain it without making it sound like I have gum or juice in my hair - but suffice it to say that a shorter version was absolutely necessary, and stat. 

 I was immediately shampooed and conditioned, and then whisked to my chair in front of a large gold mirror and settled in with my deliciously gossipy magazines (Unravel the mystery of what happened to TomKat!  How is Jessica handling her post-baby bump?  Look at the disgustingly gorgeous pad that Gwyneth and Chris just bought, which would house their family and ten other families, with plenty of room to spare!).

Thirty minutes later, five inches had been lopped off and I had a side fringe.  I was really tempted to go with something a little more avant-garde this time, as I have always opted for the straight mid-length cut - and the most innovative I've gotten is some bangs.  However, two key considerations: this was the first time I tried this salon or the hairstylist, and also, I am so (sooooo) lazy and stupid with my hair.  I don't even really know how to blowdry it, much less use spray or mousse or wax or gel.  Yeah.  So the conservative approach won out yet again.

Ultimately, the haircut was ehhh. It got the job done but I am not sure I'd go back.  I didn't think the fringe was well cut.  Maybe when I head to Taiwan I will try for a trendier bob.  And one day, one day, I will be bold and brave and get a pixie cut.

I'm quite embarrassed to post a picture because it looks like nothing's changed.  But it seems quite a tease to ramble on like this without an accompanying picture.  So here it is:



1 comment:

  1. Hey Allie you look good x) havent seen a picture of you on this blog.. like ever

    ReplyDelete