Friday, August 31, 2012

Yup, You Guessed It

I'm in Shanghai.  So what else could this post be other than about Shanghai?  A city about which I grudgingly admitted that "there is a grace to living here that I love" while also describing my feelings toward it shortly thereafter as "a morass of love and hate".  Conflicted, much?

I have not been to Shanghai since I lived and worked here in 2007 and have been itching to visit it again, as five years in a large Chinese metropolis practically renders it a different city.

Unfortunately, the tried and true adage about being careful about what you wish for rings true.  The ONE time that my sister is here from halfway around the world visiting me, staying with me, with both of us eager and happy to hang out and catch up, in all of its anticipated glory.... I have to leave on a business trip. 
Into the jittery wee hours of the night.
Oh, well.  At least I have lots of pretty pictures of Shanghai my hotel room, view from my hotel room, my office, and view from my office.  The hotel starts on the 54th floor of the Jinmao tower, a very famous, tall and pretty building in Pudong.  My room is located on the 71st floor.  My office is located on the 22nd floor of the same building.  (So actually, and sadly, upon my arrival I have not yet left the Jinmao tower.  It's convenient but also kind of horrible). How do you like my fancy digs?

View from the room - the building e on the right is part of the Jinmao tower - the corners of the building cut in and out.
View of Pudong

Swirling lit interior of the hotel that causes a bit of vertigo
 
Swirling lit interior looking up toward the skylight
Lots of marble... lots
The writing's on the wall...I admit this weirded me out a little


No comments:

Post a Comment