Friday, February 24, 2012

Alumnae

I went to a "She Roars!" Princeton Women in Hong Kong meet-and-greet cocktail hour and dinner last night.  It was held at the Beirut restaurant and bar a few streets away from my work.  Due to the light rain, I was peering out from under my hood as I walked past.  When I paused from perusing my blackberry to get my bearings, before I had a chance to utter a word the owner at the front of the restaurant grinned and pointed to the unmistakable orange and black Princeton banner and said, "Up there!"

It felt a little odd to see the banner, last sighted at Princeton reunions and evocative of dorm days past, hanging over a balcony overlooking the hookah smokers and local bar hangout scene that is Lan Kwai Fong.

The event was well-attended, with alums ranging from class of '82 to class of '10, and consisted of newbies to the city (like me) as well as people who have been living in Hong Kong for four, five, fifteen years.  Aside from sampling some tasty Lebanese food and meeting some new friends, I walked away with a pretty flower arrangement.  (One of the women, formerly an investment banker, has opened her own florist shop.)





No comments:

Post a Comment